Re: [Gimp-developer] New Image/Color Management option

On 06/04/2016 11:53 AM, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
On Sat, Jun 4, 2016 at 6:17 PM, Gez wrote:

That's what Elle has been fighting against for a long time, and that's
still the problem.

Fighting? Against? This is a community project. We don't fight here,
we make stuff happen. Althought it looks like you really, really want
to fight.

"Support for RGB working spaces other than sRGB" is already in the
roadmap, which one might attribute to Elle's eloquence.

Just to set the record straight regarding the outcome of my "eloquence":

Beginning in April 2014, and with help from several other people, I spent an enormous amount of time and effort testing and documenting the inadequacies of the babl architecture that uses unbounded sRGB as a universal working space and pseudo-PCS: http://gimp.1065349.n5.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=search_page&node=2&query=unbounded+sRGB&days=0

The net result of my long campaign to persuade the babl/GEGL/GIMP devs to abandon their long-planned sRGB-only architecture is:

1. A few paragraphs in the babl roadmap: https://git.gnome.org/browse/babl/tree/docs/roadmap.txt

2. A promise that "eventually" GIMP will support editing in color spaces other than sRGB: http://wiki.gimp.org/wiki/Roadmap

This is a pitifully small return for the amount of effort I and others have put into trying to turn GIMP around so it can become the amazing image editor that it would already be if the misguided babl architecture had been abandoned back in 2014, as it should have been.

For the foreseeable future:

* GIMP 2.9/2.10 is in fact an "unbounded sRGB only image editor": http://ninedegreesbelow.com/photography/unbounded-srgb-as-universal-working-space.html

* GIMP code is still written around the misguided notion of "sRGB as PCS": http://gimp.1065349.n5.nabble.com/Don-t-make-an-architectural-mistake-based-on-a-groundless-premise-td43812.html#a43875

I feel partly responsible for the current sad state of GIMP code because in the long discussion of the babl architecture the question came up concerning whether the babl flips should also be abandoned. I said they could be useful. I didn't realize just how invasively they would spread through the GIMP code base.

In retrospect, the sensible thing to do is to completely remove all traces of the babl flips from babl/GEGL/GIMP. If this is done, then when a person wants to edit a linear gamma image, all they have to do is convert the image to a linear gamma ICC RGB working space. The babl flips aren't needed for linear gamma image editing.

And then institue "per layer/layer group" ability to flip to a user-specified TRC for the very few cases where an informed imager really does want or need to edit nonlinear RGB.

Uninformed GIMP users would still have the option to edit in the regular sRGB color space as they already do.

Best,
Elle
--
http://ninedegreesbelow.com
Color management and free/libre photography