Re: [Gimp-developer] [darktable-dev] Darktable plug-in in GIMP - Darktable for Windows?

On 28/04/16 21:07, Carmelo DrRaw wrote:
Hi!

I’m not sure to understand what you mean by "if these could save to high-bit-depth XCF directly, that would
be even nicer”, but what I can say is that photoflow works as a “native” plug-in, in the sense that it does not
call an external program, and it copies the output into the GEGL buffer of a newly created GIMPO image.

The code is very similar to UFraw in this respect, except that the image data is passed in 32-bits floating
point format.

Personally I don't use the raw processors as plugins. I use raw files when I have to do extensive work on the picture (otherwise the camera Jpeg is good enough). So I don't see the point of using a plugin to spend 20 minutes in the plugin without being able to use any Gimp functionality. I can just as well use an external program (which until recently, gave me a lot more choice...). And after these 20 minutes I want to have something I can show/share before doing further edits so I'll anyway do an export, and this export is also the file I will open in Gimp for final edits.

With 8-bit Gimp, a 8-bit PNG or high-quality JPEG is enough. With the new Gimp, it will be better to use some 16-bit format. There are several already (TIFF, 16-bit PNG...) but using XCF could have benefits (passing metadata, etc....).