Re: [Gimp-developer] [darktable-dev] Darktable plug-in in GIMP - Darktable for Windows?

hi all,

let me try to answer some details from the dt side:

On Wed, Apr 20, 2016 at 6:46 AM, Sven Claussner <scl gplus gmail com> wrote:
Hi,

sorry if I'm asking the wrong question but I feel I have to.
Since 18.04.2016 there is a raw importer plug-in in GIMP master
that calls darktable to do its job. With the same commit
the GEGL NEF importer was disabled which is a quite clear sign
of the devs' preferences.
On the one hand it is great we have proper import for raw
files in GIMP and darktable is indeed a great application for
raw processing. On the other hand I see that up to 90% of the PC
users are Windows users, for instance see these [statistics].
In the past the darktable devs refused to provide a Windows build
for understandable reasons of maintenance and even didn't want to
hear about Partha's Windows build (see the latest discussion about
this on the darktable dev mailing list in February 2016). The latter
makes it also very difficult to discuss Windows related bugs
which will definitely come.

fair point. as far as i can tell gimp has a similar problem trying to
fix windows related bugs without windows devs?

So, it seems GIMP and Darktable are now trapped - how are
90% of the GIMP users supposed to import raw files with an
application that will probably never support their platform?

darktable compiles just fine on windows. for a windows package of gimp
shipping dt just as a raw importer, i would imagine a stripped-down
build without tethering, map mode, etc, maybe even without lighttable
mode altogether would be much simpler to maintain for the package
manager than trying to do the full thing.

What has led to this decision?
Did anybody compare the various ways to import raw files
into GIMP (GEGL, darktable, ufraw, photoflow etc.)?

that's probably more a question for the gimp side.

cheers,
 jo

Greetings

Sven