Re: [Gimp-developer] Search Action dialog feature

On Sun, Jan 19, 2014 at 3:53 PM, peter sikking <peter mmiworks net> wrote:

(anybody can contribute to this, [...])

Allow me to contribute what I would like to see from a feature like this.

‘the Undo system is valuable to GIMP users because it
allows them to proceed without fear (of doing something wrong).’

My description is a bit longer than yours, so [a] indicates background, [b]
is the statement, and [c] are additional vision/requirements.

[a] GIMP has more commands(/scripts) than can be reasonably managed by
shortcut keys.

[b] The 'X(=tito?)' system allows easy(/rapid) keyboard access to functions
that are either deep in the menu hierarchy or that are used too
infrequently to assign shortcuts to. This benefits users by allowing them
to streamline the creative process by using more input from the keyboard,
much as Toolbox shortcuts currently allow.

[c.1] This system provides additional benefits over traditional shortcuts
because the input text is searched for. This means that the shortcut
doesn't have to first be memorized and that the system can also find
3rd-party/addon functionality that may have been bundled with the
distro/binary package(s).

[c.2] Like in the menus, results will show any existing shortcuts. Unlike
external "browser" tools, this will not interfere with the creative flow
(i.e. Searches can begin with a single keystroke and <Escape> can be used
to abort a search without affecting other program state (actually, <Escape>
may be a good key to begin a search: easily discovered)).

Regards,
Chris