Re: [Gimp-developer] Next minor release?

Hi,

On Sat, Oct 5, 2013 at 12:42 AM, Alexandre Prokoudine
<alexandre prokoudine gmail com> wrote:
On Fri, Oct 4, 2013 at 3:37 PM, Jehan Pagès wrote:

It was the reason of why italic/bold could not be simulated anymore in
2.8.6 for Windows.

And I suggest we keep it that way. Committing crime against typography
isn't going to make us popular among professionals.

Well I personally have no opinion there. But I know that some people
liked this. And in this case, I would say that this should not be our
call. If people want simulated italic/bold, why prevent them?

Because fake italics and bold faces are an abomination :)

http://tavmjong.free.fr/blog/?p=822

I understand. I would still not remove the feature altogether. Maybe
there could be a warning when someone requests a bold/italic when
there is no such face and we are simulating them (GIMP does not handle
this, but maybe there is a way for us to get a feedback when this
happens), because I feel that the main issue is not that the feature
exists, but rather that there is no feedback about this from the
software.
If we were to give such a feedback, the typographic erudite would know
to step away from this font, or at least do an informed choice about
the matter.

I would personally not be against a feature request along this line.
Giving the right feedback to users, and making them informed and
active rather than passive in their choices, is totally my view of
things.
If you write such a feature request, please Cc me. :-)

Jehan

Jehan

Alexandre