[Gimp-developer] Writing a totally different UI for GIMP

Hi all,
a parallel-universe question: if I were to make a gimp-like application (just somewhat simpler and more limited) with a different UI and toolkit (say, QML), are there some parts of the GIMP codebase that would be useful to me, or would I be better forget about it and start with just using GEGL?

I see that the GIMP codebase consists of many different libs, but I don't have a clear picture of what they do and how much they depend on Gtk.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to re-use the gimp plugins, or at least make porting quite easy.

(Not that I really plan to work on this anytime soon, but if I'll ever be very bored, I might consider doing this as well :-) )

Ciao,
  Alberto