Re: [Gimp-developer] Writing a totally different UI for GIMP

On 17 June 2013 17:14, Alberto Mardegan <mardy users sourceforge net> wrote:

Hi all,
  a parallel-universe question: if I were to make a gimp-like application
(just somewhat simpler and more limited) with a different UI and toolkit
(say, QML), are there some parts of the GIMP codebase that would be useful
to me, or would I be better forget about it and start with just using GEGL?

I see that the GIMP codebase consists of many different libs, but I don't
have a clear picture of what they do and how much they depend on Gtk.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to re-use the gimp plugins, or at least make
porting quite easy.

The file-loaders in GIMP may be of value, to be able to support many
different file formats.
Using libgimp to allow GIMP plugins to work without porting could also have
significant value.

Apart from those, GEGL + Qt + gegl-qt should get you a long way.

--
Jon Nordby - www.jonnor.com