Re: [Gimp-developer] XDG support and better Windows configuration path

On Thu, 2012-10-11 at 18:19 +1100, Graeme Gill wrote:
> Michael Natterer wrote:
>
> > which means for master:
> >
> > OSX: ~/Library/Application Support/GIMP/2.9
> > WIN: (whatever windows folder i have no clue about)\GIMP\2.9
> > XDG: ~/.config/GIMP/2.9
>
> Having looked into this, I'm not sure that's correct.
> I think it should be:
>
>  OSX: ~/Library/Preferences/GIMP/2.9
>  WIN: %APPDATA%\GIMP\2.9
>  XDG: ~/.config/GIMP/2.9
>
> $XDG_DATA_HOME best corresponds to "Application Support", while
> $XDG_CONF_HOME best corresponds to "Preferences".

We are not going to make that distinction for GIMP and
keep *one* folder instead, because we tell people all
the time to get a "clean" install by moving their
GIMPDIR away, and we're not starting to tell them
to move two folders away.

We are going to move the caches to XDG_CACHE_HOME
for 2.10 tho.

See below for how I see things currently, please comment
if I make no sense.

> Full list of cross platform mappings (as best I can figure):
>
>     The following paths are used for each of the 5 XDG concepts, listed in order
>     of priority:
>
>         Per user application related data.
>
>         Per user application configuration settings.
>
>         Per user application cache storage area.
>
>         Local system wide application related data.
>
>         Local system wide application configuration settings.
>
>     Unix:
>         $XDG_DATA_HOME
>         $HOME/.local/share

Not going to use this one.

>         $XDG_CONF_HOME
>         $HOME/.config

Check.

>         $XDG_CACHE_HOME
>         $HOME/.cache

Check.

>         $XDG_DATA_DIRS
>         /usr/local/share:/usr/share

Check.

>         $XDG_CONF_DIRS
>         /etc/xdg

What were they thinking when specifying this :)

>     OS X:
>         $XDG_DATA_HOME
>         $HOME/Library/Application Support

Check.