Re: [Gimp-developer] XDG support and better Windows configuration path

On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 2:47 AM, Michael Natterer <mitch gimp org> wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-10-10 at 21:12 -0400, Partha Bagchi wrote:
>> On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 6:12 PM, Michael Natterer <mitch gimp org> wrote:
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > Since we are about to change things here, let's do
>> > it right and consistent across platforms this time.
>> >
>> > I suggest:
>> >
>> > OSX: NSApplicationSupportDirectory/GIMP/GIMP_APP_VERSION
>> > WIN: APPDATA/GIMP/GIMP_APP_VERSION
>> > XDG: XDG_CONFIG_DIR/GIMP/GIMP_APP_VERSION
>> >
>> > which means for master:
>> >
>> > OSX: ~/Library/Application Support/GIMP/2.9
>> > WIN: (whatever windows folder i have no clue about)\GIMP\2.9
>> > XDG: ~/.config/GIMP/2.9
>> >
>> > I know the part before "GIMP/2.9" should be handled
>> > by g_get_user_config_dir(), but until it does, let's
>> > do the right thing anyway.
>> >
>> > Comments?
>> >
>> > --mitch

>> Yes, I think this will break a whole lot of folks who have gotten into
>> the "bad" habit already with c:/Users/$Username/.gimp-x.x while OSX
>> just went from .gimp-x.x to ~/Library/Application Support/gimp-x.x to
>> ~/Library/GIMP/x.x back to ~/Library/Application Support/gimp-x.x.
>
> We didn't officially support OSX until 2.8, and temporarily
> breaking the ~/Library/GIMP/x.x mistake, well we just have
> to live with it.
>
>> Can't we simply make this a user configuration as it used to be before
>> where one could select the user directory?
>
> What was this a user configuration?
>
>> Of course, if the above will be the rule, at least publicize it in advance?
>
> This will be for 2.10, and we will have docs that help to migrate
> directories that are not automatically done (if any).
>
> --mitch

Don't get me wrong, I personally think it is a good idea to confirm to
an OS's native file standards and this will in some sense "legitimize"
Gimp. :).

With User configuration I meant, setting the the configuration option
--with-gimpdir. Sorry I was not clear.