Re: [Gimp-developer] lcms high bit depth update: getting closer, but undo doesn't work

On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 4:11 AM, Tobias Jakobs <tobias jakobs gmail com> wrote:

with all this changes and the recent work in git it looks very promising. Thank you and every one from the Gimp Team who help for this work. Could you perhaps give us short status update about what is now working and what is still missing?

The modified lcms.c plug-in code is now in master. The lcms.c plug-in uses LCMS2 (as does the rest of Gimp from git, thanks to Mitch and Laurent Martelli), and can do ICC profile conversions on the following image file types:

*8-bit and 16-bit integer RGB images
*indexed RGB images
*32-bit floating point RGB images
*single and multiple layer images
*with and without masks
*with and without alpha channels

It *can't* (yet) do profile conversions on 32-bit integer/16-bit floating point images or non-RGB images.

The code is fully "geglified" (is that the right word?): It doesn't use any deprecated functions (and doesn't need any modified babl files). And "Undo" works.

Everything that worked in the old plug-in, still works, with the following caveats:

*The information presented in the Image Properties/Color Profile box needs to be rewritten to make better use of V4 Profile tags. This is at the top of my "to-do" list.

*During an ICC profile conversion, the progress bar updates only once per layer instead of continuously. I don't know how to fix this.

*When doing an ICC profile conversion on an indexed image, you have to "touch" the image after the conversion (and also after "undo") to get the image on the screen to update. The easiest thing to do is click and unclick a visibility button. I don't know how to fix this.

*Thumbnails assume the image is in the sRGB color space - is this an lcms plug-in issue?

To summarize, high bit ICC profile conversion works on all supported image types: 8-bit and 16-bit integer, indexed, and 32-bit floating point RGB images. You'll get an error message if you try to do a profile conversion on any other image type.

Everyone on the Gimp developer's list has been incredibly patient and supportive during my struggles to get the lcms.c plug-in to do high bit depth color conversions - every time I couldn't figure out what to do next, someone else stepped in, wrote code, pointed the way - thank you!

Kindest regards,
Elle