Re: [Gimp-developer] Re : Feedback from an ordinary user

On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 10:32 AM, Alexia Death <alexiadeath gmail com> wrote:
> ... sigh... Let me explain this again.

Yes, we're all shaking our heads.

(I was bitten by the smarmy 'you're wrong! I know what you want to do,
but I'll not do it!' dialog several times tonight alone... nothing
like re-navigating through stacks of directories from scratch after
the 'Ha ha' message.  I laugh along every time.)

I understand that the devs want to move toward a totally
nondestructive editor.  I want to see that happen myself.

That doesn't mean needlessly trading efficiency and long-standing
experience with the most common workflow for... something that won't
be here for a long time.  99% of the time I open Gimp, I couldn't care
less about a project file.  I grumble every time the project file is
pushed on me. I almost never want it, and still won't even later when
Gimp blossoms into its nondestructive butterflyness.

So please, for the love of god, change the 'fuck you' dialog to
something that doesn't slap the user instead of doing what the user
wants, expects, and the code is perfectly capable of doing.  e.g. an
explanation, an 'I know what I'm doing' button (preferably with a
'don't show this again' checkbox that also makes the 'unsaved changes'
warnings go away).

The conceptual distinction between save [project] and export is real
enough.  However, the UI as set up now is obstructionist for no gain.

Blaming the users with a big sigh and eye-roll isn't a strategy for
long-term success.  I tried it for a long time myself, it's not really
a great plan.

Monty