Re: [Gimp-developer] Save/export, option to go back to old behaviour

I know I shouldn't comment on this thread, but I think everyone is
missing an important point.

If you simply open a jpeg, and then save it as a jpeg without
modification, you will lose data. Jpeg is always lossy. More
compression artifacts will be introduced in the saved image. There is
no sane way to avoid this behavior.

If you allow the user to save back to jpeg, then you will not "honour
the quality/file size trade-off" because the user will be slowly
destroying their image every time they save and re-open.

We're not saying that you can't slowly destroy your image - you still
have the freedom to do that. We just want you to click a single button
that says, "yes, I want to destroy my image", if you really do like
destroying images.

I don't think that's too much for us to ask of the user. I don't think
that clicking a single button is something to get worked up about.

I'm going to stop reading this thread now, so don't bother to reply to me.

  -- drawoc