Re: [Gimp-developer] Save/export, option to go back to old behaviour

On Mon, 19 Nov 2012 06:46:35 +0400, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 6:08 AM, Graeme Gill wrote:
>>> The project file, the one that keeps ervery feature of gimp intact is
>>> the xcf and you save to it. Any rendering you export to. And this
>>> distinction will get even more important when we get to gegl backend
>>> in full.
>>
>> So what ? You certainly don't want to create a superset storage file
>> unless it contains more than the original file contains. To do so
>> is simply wasteful and a burden on the user.
>
> Um. Are you suggesting that GIMP should somehow begin to view files
> differently as soon as some unsupported (re original file) feature
> gets added? Like "Uh, oh, you added a layer, and PNG doesn't support
> layers, so let's treat this as XCF after all"? :)

That's exactly what GIMP <=2.6 did (at least from a user perspective).
If you tried to save an image containing layers as a JPEG file, it
warned you that it couldn't save the layers, and prompted for what to
do.  That was perfectly workable.
--
Robert Krawitz                                     <rlk alum mit edu>

MIT VI-3 1987 - Congratulations MIT Engineers men's hoops Final Four!

--Eric Crampton