Re: [Gimp-developer] Save/export, option to go back to old behaviour

On Fri, 16 Nov 2012 18:13:04 +0400, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 6:00 PM, Matthew Miller wrote:
>
>> changes to the way things have been done before. But it'd also be nice if
>> broader workflows could be taken into account. Here's mine:
>>
>> 1. Convert from RAW in other software. Save my originals there.
>> 2. Select a dozen or so image for touchup work. Make jpg copies.
>>    (Occasionally, TIFF.)
>> 3. Open all of those copies in gimp, make my adjustments (generally 5-15
>>    minutes of work each), and close each as I'm done.
>
> So you are dumping your changes after editing and can't adjust them
> later. It is precisely the kind of workflow we call unsafe. We
> provided a secondary workflow to deal with that to a certain extent.
> Beyond that it's in the hands of community if they want the old
> scenario back and maintain some sort of a fork.

Yes, and if I'm doing something quick and dirty, I'll take my chances on
it.  I know it's unsafe, and I don't care in that situation.  There are
plenty of cases where I *do* care, and I use .xcf format, but lots where
I don't.

It's also not always correct to say that they can't be adjusted later.
They can in a lot of cases, with some loss of quality.

I suspect it would solve 90% of the problems for people if you're always
allowed to save back to the file format that the image was originally
opened in (or even just to save, rather than save as).  So if I open a
JPEG file, ctrl-s should simply save (or internally export, if you will,
and clear the modified flag).
--
Robert Krawitz                                     <rlk alum mit edu>

MIT VI-3 1987 - Congratulations MIT Engineers men's hoops Final Four!

--Eric Crampton