Re: [Gimp-developer] Save/export, option to go back to old behaviour

On 11/16/2012 03:11 PM, Simon Budig wrote:
> We have decided to focus on loss-prevention. We have discussed and
> explained this ad nauseam.

That's fine, and no one (in this thread, at least) is questioning this.

> So unless you come up with a real usability study within our target user
> group that shows that they can't handle this change we won't change
> this.

It's not about "can't handle", it's about being annoyed by either:

a) not being able to save the file as PNG/JPEG when closing the window
of an edited but unsaved image;

b) having to close the confirmation dialog when closing an exported
image (if you don't want to save it as XCF)

The current GIMP doesn't prevent any user from performing their tasks,
but it introduces an annoyance for those users who don't save their
images in XCF files. Whether this category is big or small, I don't know
for sure, but it's pretty reasonable to think that it's large enough to
deserve a configuration option.

When editing hundreds of pictures a day, this small annoyance is enough
to make you look for an alternative.

Can you please point me to the previous discussions where the idea of
adding a configuration option for the non-XCF users was dismissed?
There's plenty of discussions about this save/export move, but I didn't
find yet an explanation of why an extra configuration option would be bad.

Ciao,
  Alberto

--
http://blog.mardy.it <- geek in un lingua international!