Re: [Gimp-developer] Problems with brushes

> From: olecarme gmail com
> Date: Sun, 20 May 2012 15:09:18 +0200
> To: gimp-werkstatt gmx de
> CC: gimp-developer-list gnome org
> Subject: Re: [Gimp-developer] Problems with brushes
>
> > 4. The mapping matrix for the dynamic settings of the bushes is not
> > editable. How can I edit this map to use on my own brushes?
>
> You have to define a new paint dynamics. Use the second or third
> button in the bottom of the Paint Dynamics dockable dialog.

This is the biggest problem with making Brush Dynamics their own resource type, and from the end user's perspective, an unwanted regression compared to how 2.4 through 2.6 allowed you to edit the mapping matrix at any time.  It's like if you went to the Curves dialog and loading a preset means you can't make further adjustments to fine-tune the graph.

In the meantime, make sure you have created one New brush dynamics resource even if it's solely for the ability to edit the matrix.

> > 6. The Gimp Tool Options  "Smooth stroke" and "Incremental" don't show any
> > affect on the stroke of any brush. Do they only effect brushes using a
> > tablet?
>
> Set the opacity of your brush to 50%, and try it with or without
> "Incremental" to see what it means.

"Incremental" means that every application of paint in a stroke layers on top of the previous one.  I recommend never using it outside special cases - most brushes have a spacing of 10-15% or so which means that any given pixel along the stroke area will end up 'painted' up to 5-7 times over.  Normally this is a moot point but with incremental option this means that the opacity will end up being applied 5-7 times over too -- you lose the ability to get a stroke with a predictable OVERALL opacity value (even an opacity setting of 10%, if incremental, yields an end result up to 40-50% opacity).  This is as technically correct as it is utterly undesirable, but it's a limitation in how GIMP handles painting actions internally so it's virtually impossible to fix.

-- Stratadrake
strata_ranger hotmail com