Re: [Gimp-developer] Problems with brushes

2012/5/20 Anke Lange <gimp-werkstatt gmx de>:
> Hello list
>
> I'm having a closer look at the use of brushes and I came across a few
> things, that were easy to use in the previous gimp (2.6) and now they are
> not there anymore. And some of the new features don't seem to work for me.
> So are they a features or bugs? Well, I just make a little list ;)
>
> 1. Why don't the brushes show their real size when aktivated?
> The tool seems to adopt the settings of the previous used brush.

The size of the brush is set by the Size setting in the options of the
painting tool you use. Thus a brush no longer has only one intrinsic
size.

> 2. How can I paint adopting the gradiant for brush-colors?
> When using brush-dynamics random-color, it does use the gradient-color, but
> not in the correct sequence.

It uses it in a random sequence! If you want to use the gradient in a
non-random way, define a new paint dynamics, and check a box in the
Color line of its Mapping matrix, for example Pressure or Direction.

> 3. Using brushes with a minimum distance of 1 lieves a gap using a brush
> caligraphic-brush with an angle of 40%.

Don't understand what you're telling. What painting tool and what
exact brush are you using?

> 4. The mapping matrix for the dynamic settings of the bushes is not
> editable. How can I edit this map to use on my own brushes?

You have to define a new paint dynamics. Use the second or third
button in the bottom of the Paint Dynamics dockable dialog.

> 5. When making a grayscale gih-brush, it doesn't display adopt the
> setting-procedures
> Like when you create a brush to write GIMP using 5 layers. G, I, M, P,
> empty. Settings: ranks 5 random.
>
> Using the brush, doesn't display the word GIMP , It just jumbles it all up
> so something like GMMGGIP PPII comes out of it.

Because you are asking for randomness.

> 6. The Gimp Tool Options  "Smooth stroke" and "Incremental" don't show any
> affect on the stroke of any brush. Do they only effect brushes using a
> tablet?

Set the opacity of your brush to 50%, and try it with or without
"Incremental" to see what it means.

For "Smooth stroke" try the Paintbrush tool with the Block 01 brush,
set the options of Smoot stroke to their maximum, and try with or
without checking the option.

> It would be great if you could give me a hint on what I do wrong.
> Mayby it is a problem with my system (Xubuntu 12.4) I used the packages to
> compile gimp, shortly after you annouced it.

Your distribution or installation is not important, but these features are new.
--
Olivier Lecarme