Re: [Gimp-developer] Translating GIMP from GIMP master (is wrong)

On 12-05-09 05:30 AM, Gabor Kelemen wrote:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-translations/+bug/986897

Seems like a recent change in intltool causes this, which makes the scheme
string extraction done by xgettext instead of intltools built-in and dropped
parser.

The information for revision 722 indicates that intltool-extract.in and intltool-update.in had the support for Scheme code in files ending with .scm removed. The test case file "test.scm" was also removed.

I would be interested to know more about why this change was made. Back in the early days of gimp when these two scripts were part of the GIMP source tree we had to apply a patch to make them handle the marked strings in GIMP's .scm files.

It's almost as if there is supposed to be one way of marking strings in Scheme based scripts (regardless of which interpreter is being used), or xgettext never got the additional changes to handle strings marked in .scm files the way they are in GIMP's Script-Fu scripts, or both.

If there is a move towards using xgettext to do string extraction we need to find out how to use it to extract strings from Script-Fu scripts. If it can't do that, we should ask the gettext people to update xgettext to include the code that was dropped from the two external scripts.

In turn, http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/manual/gettext.html#Scheme says
that the gettext shorthand for scheme strings is (_"foo"), so I think your
source files should be modified to conform this notation.

Scheme in gettext manual references GNU guile. BTW, the markup it uses has a space between the _ and the opening " of the string. The form _"abc" is still valid markup for awk but I don't expect that to be of much help to us.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.