Re: [Gimp-developer] GSoC - 2012 - Implement the combined selection tool

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 2:22 PM, peter sikking wrote:

> Last, one bit of risk in this project is the future of the
> SIOX tool. I heard rumours about a replacement. there needs
> to be a decision by the GIMP team about that before the
> design sprint starts.

Rumours?

Well, our current SIOX tools sucks as it doesn't make it possible to
refine the selection. The GSoC project on that was successful, but the
code doesn't compile and noone tried to work on that really.

An alternative tool that works really nicely was created by Jan Rüegg
[1], but we couldn't merge it, because a) it was too late for 2.8
anyway, and b) we do not accept new tools that are based on the old
core. So Jan implemented a GEGL operation for matting [2] which would
be used by a new GEGL based selection tool, but not the actual tool.

The way I see it is that we have few issues there:

1. SIOX tool as such could be obsoleted by a new combined selection tool
2. We have concurrent matting operations, one from GSoC and one from Jan.

[1] http://youtu.be/kkQ1r5g49d4
[2] https://github.com/rggjan/gegl-global-matting

Alexandre Prokoudine
http://libregraphicsworld.org