[Gimp-developer] Get currently active image in python

Hello

I've been developing a plugin for my wife for her photography business.  I'm using GTK and sqlite successfully in the plugin.

I'm at a part where I need to be able to find out the currently active image (the image that is selected in gimp).
I have tried:
activeImage = gimp.image_list()[0]

but this only returns the most recently opened image, and not the currently selected image in gimp.  Is there a way to get the currently selected image from gimp from within python?

thanks!