Re: [Gimp-developer] Bring back normal handling of other file formats

On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 12:51:36 +0200
Jon Nordby <jononor gmail com> wrote:
> With these current facts, I do not think we shall try to deceive the
> user into thinking that save and export is the same. They are not and
> the consequence for mixing them up can result in a loss of data. None
> of these facts are unchangeable however.

An idea that someone mentioned earlier which appealed to me* was the
idea of an associated "export" file which is automatically updated on
save. This in itself has a risk (overwriting an exported version that
needed to be archived), but would allow "me" (A user, not necessarily
squarely in the target audience) to concentrate on my work without
needing to remember to export. This should not be taken as a criticism
of the current situation for which I am wholly in favour. I already had
tried to push my workflow in this direction with 2.6 and so the nex
version counts as a simplification for me, not a complication.

Jon

* For the record and to provide context, my workflow is as follows:

- Photo in (Either digital, usually from raw, or digitisation of an
analogue image - scanning).
- Edits varying from tweaking curves to full-on retouching.
- Archiving of these edits in xcf format.
- Export to jpg at varying levels of quality and with resizing
  depending on target (print / web).