Re: [Gimp-developer] Bring back normal handling of other file formats

On 21/06/12 10:20, Thorsten Wilms wrote:
> You already mentioned habit. Having such an option would allow you to
> keep what is now a bad habit (to not discern between saving the work and
> exporting), instead of forming a new, productive one.
IMHO the distinction between saving and exporting is an artificial one
no one
really should need to care about.
The old behavior was productive and never got into the way of performing
the task at hand which was to save the edited image to a format of
choice. Why the dialog had to be split eludes me completely and annoys
the heck out of me.
If you want to add to the usability any file save operation should in
some way or another save the image to a versioned database in whatever
form is required to be able to continue from that place (let's call that
a master copy). Then no one should need to remember to first save and
then export the picture. If reopening an image in whatever format would
then solicit to open the saved master copy instead if that master copy
exists. This would make the use of the saved image implicit and remove
the need for the artificial distinction between saving and exporting and
image...
BTW: I asked a few of my friends (who are less into image editing but
well capable of using a computer and who at most only knew the GIMP by
name) what export was supposed to mean and they all responded that it
was the use of external resources to store the image (FB, Flickr,
Dropbox)...
--
regards
Karl Günter Wünsch