Re: [Gimp-developer] present xcf as what it is, a gimp project file format

On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 01:51:30 +0400, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 1:02 AM, gg wrote:
>
>>> Was it a deliberate attempt to spill some oil into the fire? Thank you
>>> for that. We are all extremely interested in another shout contest.
>>>

>> No, it was a deliberate attempt to point out that you (one) cannot
>> constantly use the "top-end" target argument , then turn around and the GUI
>> has to guide the user to know what is "safe" or not and must be prevented
>> from saving work which has layers in anything but xcf because they won't
>> realise that png , whatever, will loose the layers.
>>
>> You (one) cannot use an argument when it suits you, then assume the opposite
>> later.
>>
>> No oil, just a simple statement of logic.
>
> Logic? Awesome joke, gg.
>
> You are basically saying that professionals don't make mistakes, and
> if they do, it's all right, they don't fret. This is just silly.
>
> First of all, everyone makes mistakes, professionals are not robots.
> But this is not the point.
>
> The point is that saving means being able to have access to all the
> project/work data in the future. This has been stated millions of
> times, and the fact that you keep going on and on about this can only
> mean that you are trying to be a pain in the arse.
>
> The current behavior is designed for people who work on multiple
> layers and, generally, make the most of GIMP features. Noone says
> you've got to love it. Feel free to hate it, just do it elsewhere.

It's designed for people who work on multiple layers and don't realize
that saving in other formats destroys those layers.

In 2.6, if you try to save an image with multiple layers as a JPEG, the
save dialog warns you that you need to collapse them.  If you save a
single layer image as a JPEG, no warning.

That seems like reasonable behavior.  Forcing you to do something
non-obvious in the case of doing a quick edit to a JPEG isn't.

--
Robert Krawitz                                     <rlk alum mit edu>

MIT VI-3 1987 - Congratulations MIT Engineers men's hoops Final Four!

--Eric Crampton