Re: [Gimp-developer] Bring back normal handling of other file formats

Belated reply, but....

> From: peter mmiworks net
> Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 18:03:39 +0200
> To: gimp-developer-list gnome org
> Subject: Re: [Gimp-developer] Bring back normal handling of other file formats
>
> On Jun 14, 2012, at 16:37, Richard Gitschlag wrote:
>
> > I still believe GIMP should, instead of merely informing the user that Save operates in XCF only, offer an export/save xcf/cancel option which would alleviate the need to go back and use a different dialog as a separate step. (You never know if a user might actually WANT to save their GIMP file under a non-XCF filename)
> >
> > I doubt that would violate the terms of the Save/Export spec that the dev team swears by.
>
> yes it does. you cannot go through save if it is not safe.
>
> --ps

Well, the spec only says:
> Save, ‘Save as’ and ‘Save a copy’ shall only save to (compressed) GIMP formats, which shall be the only available format choices in
> the Save dialog. Only Save and ‘Save as’ shall change the saved-status of the document and replace the document–to–file association.
>
> http://gui.gimp.org/index.php/Save_%2B_export_specification

It does NOT specify that GIMP must be a stick in the mud and refuse to delegate to the Export command if the user types in a non-XCF filename - which is part of the very vocal complaint about the fundamental change in file-writing behavior.

Things would be much easier on the end user if:

> ... If the user inputs a filename with a non-XCF extension into the Save dialog, GIMP must refuse to save the document, as GIMP documents should always be paired with an XCF extension (for system file-association).  GIMP may, however, present a yes/no confirmation asking whether the user intended to Export the document instead; if yes, the document will not be saved as an XCF, but program flow will branch to the "Export" command and proceed from there instead.

-- Stratadrake
strata_ranger hotmail com