Re: [Gimp-developer] What about switching from Gtk+ to Qt

On 12-08-06 04:56 AM, Shlomi Fish wrote:
Now my page ( http://www.shlomifish.org/open-source/anti/autohell/ ) gives many
valid reasons why CMake is superior and GNU Autotools
is inferior, and as a result concludes it is valid to nickname Autotools "Autohell"
as a derogatory name, just based on their own deficiencies.

Some good information on that web page, Shlomi. One comment about the page. It has a heading of "Disadvantages of GNU Autotools" but the points below start by mentioning an advantage of CMake instead of a disadvantage of the Autotools.

One advantage of CMake you didn't list is how it can do builds to a sub-directory of the source tree. I found this helpful when building a standard version of Blender and an experimental version with some added options without having to copy the entire source tree to a separate directory to do the two builds.

Based on my initial experience trying to learn how to use the GNU Autotools, the term "Autohell" seems appropriate. I found documentation on using it was hard to find and what I found was not that useful. A book I picked up from somewhere called "GNU Autoconf, Automake, and Libtool" helped a little but not that much. The main way I found to learn how to use the tools in the early days was by studying existing uses of the tools from various projects (ie. GIMP) and copying/modifying the files.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.