Re: [Gimp-developer] that typing business...

On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 11:23 PM, peter sikking <peter mmiworks net> wrote:
> OK, I cannot resist quoting this review:
> <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/04/27/ubuntu_12_04_lts_review/>
>
> it uses GIMP to discuss ubuntu’s HUD. but then:
>
> ‘Of course GIMP is an app that lends itself to the mouse so
> switching to the keyboard to use the HUD isn't always faster.’
>
> if a software reviewer, with (I postulate) nowhere near the
> speed demands of our core users, can see the flaw, then...
>
> yes, context is everything in interaction design,

This is not to say that typing will be faster than hunting through the
menus of GIMP to find grid, checkerboard or unsharp mask that are
hidden deep in the menu-hierarchy of GIMP. Such a type-to search based
system could also be made to adapt to the user and by default present
the recently top N used filters/actions without needing to type - kind
of an "invoke recent action" that gives you a list of recently
performed actions and allows you to pick one with the pointing device.
Personally I use <10 GIMP actions frequently, but these probably are
different from the ones other users use, such a frecency filtering
could be one way to give you the best of both worlds - such
adaptations might be easier to make and cater for with app-specific
interfaces rather than a system global one.

/Ø.
                                                 -- William Gibson
http://pippin.gimp.org/ ;                           http://ffii.org/