Re: [gedit-list] GSOC-2011 Project Idea

I had this idea for a while, and I wanted to propose this for a soc so if you are interested on this just contact us in the irc

On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 4:05 PM, Abhinav Upadhyay <er abhinav upadhyay gmail com> wrote:
Hi All,

I had a couple of interesting ideas for gedit, that I would like to see in it, and if given chance I would like to work on them. I am not sure, if these ideas have already been discussed or under development.

1.)    During the last few days, I did hacking on a number of different projects (for bug fixing), so I used gedit primarily for working with the code because of its simplicity. But, as we all know, while modifying an existing code, it gets hard to keep track of what changes were made and where in a particular file, and if one takes a break during the hacking session, it can get pretty hard to recall the changes that one did (specially if something is not working).

At this point, I thought it would be cool to have some kind of indication in the editor about which lines have been edited/added. For example in MonoDevelop, there is one such feature that I noticed. The marker on the side of the editor, gets yellow for lines which have been changed but not saved yet,and it gets green for lines which have been changed and saved as well. So if one comes back after a while to work on the code, one can see where one was working.  I am attaching a screenshot of monodevelop for this. But I guess, it would be a tough one to do.

The other idea was about symbol browsing, but I just checked out that there is already a plugin for this :)

Anyways, what are your feedback about the first idea ?