Re: [gedit-list] Roadmap for gEdit 2.25/2.26

Op dinsdag 09-12-2008 om 13:16 uur [tijdzone +0100], schreef Mats
Taraldsvik:
> Hi,

<snip/>
> > > As a web developer though, I would like to help you with the
> > > web-install plugin architecture where you can install gEdit plugins
> > > from your website. Maybe we can look at this during the 2.27/2.28
> > > release cycle since you're modularizing the plugin code for this
> > > cycle?
> > >

> > I have been working on this and I'm hoping to get (at least in part)
> > some stuff in 2.26. The current idea is to built support for this in the
> > gedit core and I have been preparing some stuff to implement this. At
> > the moment I'm focussing on the website part, but any help is highly
> > appreciated.
> >

> Couldn't you use packagekit for this? It should be easy enough to
> package it, as it's only copying files to the gedit plugin folder?
>
> Then again, a separate system might be more flexible...

I would like to use package kit for this, but from what I understand
from package kit is that it provides a common interface for multiple
package backends. This means that we would still need to write the whole
backend + integration with package kit to have this work. Since all the
hard work is actually done in the backend, just using package kit
doesn't really give us any advamtages.