Re: [Geary] "Always watch for new mail" preference: better alternatives?

On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 7:20 PM, Michael Gratton <mike vee net> wrote:
Hey Khurshid, On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 8:26 PM, Khurshid Alam <khurshid alam linuxmail org> wrote:
Sorry for late reply. I am against removing --hidden option. I want to autostart geary but I don't want it to popup every-time system reboots. To start geary silently in background, --hidden is required. No? May be you could separate autostart option from "always watch for new mail".
Good points. Removing it would also break backwards compatibility with existing autostart desktop files, and it's handy for testing, so yeah, I'll leave it in.

Thanks.

For notification, I prefer in-app settings as it is because non every desktop use gnome-control-center.
What desktop do you use? I'd be surprised if it didn't support disabling notifications from certain apps in some way or another. In any case when that pref is removed, Geary will simply default to always sending notifications, and so it's up to the desktop to prevent them showing, not the other way around, if that helps.

I use Unity/Mate. By design some desktop thinks that a application should decide whether to show notification or not. Gnome uses gnotification. If a app uses gnotification api or libnotify, a extra settings is created in gnome-control-center to toggle notification.

I have one suggestion: remove it from GUI, but keep it as a gsettings option so that it can still work on desktop which doesn't pro vide a global settings to disable notification. By default it will be enabled of-course.

Thanks.