Re: [Geary] "Always watch for new mail" preference: better alternatives?

Hey Khurshid,

On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 8:26 PM, Khurshid Alam <khurshid alam linuxmail org> wrote:
Sorry for late reply.

I am against removing --hidden option. I want to autostart geary but I don't want it to popup every-time system reboots. To start geary silently in background, --hidden is required. No? May be you could separate autostart option from "always watch for new mail".

Good points. Removing it would also break backwards compatibility with existing autostart desktop files, and it's handy for testing, so yeah, I'll leave it in.

For notification, I prefer in-app settings as it is because non every desktop use gnome-control-center.

What desktop do you use? I'd be surprised if it didn't support disabling notifications from certain apps in some way or another. In any case when that pref is removed, Geary will simply default to always sending notifications, and so it's up to the desktop to prevent them showing, not the other way around, if that helps.

Preference: "Notify of new mail in the background"
Tooltip: "Geary will remain running even when the main window is closed"

I prefer this more. Text for preference and tooltip can be changed though as suggested before.

That makes sense with both the original intention behind the preference as well as what I thought it say, but as Federico pointed out the "notifications" part of that will only work if not only that pref is enabled, but the Show Notifications pref is also enabled, and also the desktop environment is also configured to allow Geary's notificatons to show up, making it very easy for the "Notify of new mail..." part to simply not work, despite the preference being ticked. This would be a pretty poor user experience, so to prevent that confusion it's probably best to not mention notifications in the run-in-the-background pref at all, despite it being a useful side-effect. I'll make sure that notifications are mentioned as a use of it in the user manual, at least.

Cheers,
//Mike

--
⊨ Michael Gratton, Percept Wrangler.