Re: [gdm-list] [g-a-devel] a11y module proposal: MouseTweaks (i.e.: software click)

Hi Francesco:

We discussed MouseTweaks at the summit at think it definitely looks like it provides great functionality for the intended users. Overall, we support the module proposal, though we also recommend working with the GNOME Usablity folks (http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/) on any user interface improvements that would make its configuration and use better for the target user base. When working with them, I think it will be very important to remind them who the target users are and what the typical user interaction model will be.

As an aside, did you give consideration to making the mouse handling portions of this an X Server Extension? The reason I ask is that when developing AccessX many years ago, we originally did it as a client instead of an extension. At the time, we were encouraged to merge with the XKB Server Extension. We did that, and the result is that AccessX functionality pretty much ubiquitous now (yeah!). Times were different back then, however. Today, it seems like getting an X Server Extension accepted and deployed might be more arduous and take a bit longer. So, if MouseTweaks works great as a client-only solution, then perhaps the server extension idea is not that important.

Thanks!

Will

PS - Your video really helped a lot with the understanding of why MouseTweaks is important and useful.

Willie Walker wrote:
Hi Francesco:

No problem with replying late - I happen to be up late. :-) I took a look at the video and downloaded/installed MouseTweaks on my OpenSolaris Laptop running GNOME 2.20.0. With a little futzing with the install, I was able to get it to work. It looks like a very interesting and useful tool, and your recordmydesktop video demo of it was great.

I've added it to the agenda for today and will bring it up for discussion.
Thanks for the effort!

Will

Francesco Fumanti wrote:
Hello,

First of all, sorry for replying so late.