Re: Applications won't run with explicit display parameter when GDM is used.

On Wed, Feb 18, 2004 at 11:56:46AM -0500, Philippe Anctil wrote:
> I've run into a strange problem and I'm hoping to find a solution in this
> list. My problem goes like this. When I start an X session with GDM, I
> cannot run applications with the display argument. For example:
>
> xclock -display localhost:0
>
> Produces:
>
> Error: Can't open display: localhost:0

Likely an authorization issue.  Can you run 'xauth list' (I think that's the
command, I'm going from memory on a machine where I can't test this :) it
should list the displays and cookies as set.  I remember going through this
a while ago and looking at how xdm/kdm do it, though I can't quite remember
the way it settled down finally.  I may not be adding all the correct hosts
or whatnot.  Though I seem to remember I switched things to wildcards there,
but I could be wrong.  Also, which version of gdm are you running?

George

--
George <jirka 5z com>
   We must know, we shall know.  -- David Hilbert