Re: [gDesklets] Button ID proposal

On 10/24/2010 10:53 AM, Bjoern Koch wrote:
I'm curious what your reasons are.  I think the Control method is a good
idea (for ease of maintenance, at least).  Then again, the core does already
have methods of generating pop-ups...maybe if I knew the arguments for and
against I could weigh in with better reasons :)

Well...  hard to tell.
There are a lot of small things that make me think about it.

Like that there seems no way to tell the PopUp which desklet calls it
(AFAIK). So - worst case - lots of PopUps pop up and needs an
interaction of the user. This can be hard for the user if he/she cannot
link the popup to the desklet.

Furthermore there seems no way (again AFAIK) to close open PopUps when
the desklet is closed. This can lead to orphaned popups.

And some other small things that sum up.

But finally: the display file should be for the display/GUI (only) and
the controls for the rest. I am not sure where popups should be placed
here, but I think they are more part of the display/GUI...

But again: I am not really sure about it, but the more I think about it
the integration into the ADL looks nicer/better to me.

All these are good points and I agree on all of them. My vote would be for ADL implementation. Maybe that's not feasible for this release...? Let's argue about implementation details later :)

What do you think needs to be done on the basic desklets? (BTW, all the changes I spoke about in previous emails have been committed.)

Thanks,
Joe