Re: sound, images, GPL and other licenses

Andreas Røsdal wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Dec 2006, Sander Marechal wrote:
>> Richard Hoelscher wrote:
>>> I'm just saying gnome-games needs newer and better themes to ship with
>>
>> Well, I'm planning to commision an artist to create a card deck for
>> gnome-hearts and give it to gnome-games as well. Something nice and
>> glossy/shiny Vista-ish I think. But it'll be some time before I have the
>> funds for that.
>
> If you can commision an artist to create card decks for you, then I will
> be very impressed. But will you be able to get the cards licensed as GPL
> do you think?

I already discussed this. I know the artist in question through
gamedev.net on which I'm a moderator. Here's his website:
http://kulthouse.com/

Besides, paying someone to help gnome-hearts kind of goes
> again the whole open source thing...

Why? People get get paid to work on the Linux kernel don't they? I can't
do it myself (though I tried) and artists willing to do it for free are
hard to come by. So, paying one to do it is a good 3rd option.

> But if the end result is that you
> pey to get some really awesome cards released as GPL, then I will be
> happy to use them for free in gnome-games.  :)

You're welcome. But as I said, it can take a while. I need to raise the
funds for it first (by building websites) before I can order the cards.
And who knows how long the artist will take :-)

--
Sander Marechal
http://www.gnome-hearts.org