Re: Important things todo before next release?

On Sat, 2006-08-19 at 17:15 -0500, Richard Hoelscher wrote:
> > I'm going to do this and also add the SVG menu icons before I do the
> > release on Monday.
>
> Adding those SVG menu icons is something that we really shouldn't do this
> late in the cycle.

The change is quite simple (a few resource references in .desktop files
and icon_DATA variables in Makefile.am's). We've been talking about
doing this since June 29th. On July 11th I gave the author until July
22nd to address the concerns of games-list'ers. On July 22nd he met the
deadline but I haven't gotten around to including them until now.

>  Among other things, it'll drive the downstream package
> maintainers nuts,

I asked around and from what I could gather from Debian packagers, they
won't need to make any special considerations for an SVG icon as opposed
to a PNG icon.

>  and SVGs icons need more time in the wild so we know
> that there's no obscure rendering bugs that'll hang the system and such.

An SVG icon has been in use for quite some time in gnome-gnobots2.svg
without issue - indeed it seems to be the first GNOME module using an
SVG menu icon. We're not talking about adding usage of SVG in the apps
themselves; only their menu entries for now. Additionally - I asked
around on #gnome-hackers - because it's only a cosmetic change, it
doesn't violate the UI freeze.

> If it's got to happen (I just can't get exited about Tango), please just
> save it until the next cycle.

I said over a month ago that we were planning on getting this in to 2.16
and I can't think of any good reason not to do so. Tango is where
everyone seems to be headed and even if we don't like, there's clearly a
lot of "Go" energy in that direction. I want to encourage more that kind
of energy and art-work work. Hopefully we can get some of it created for
some of our more art-starved games. (With performance taken in to
consideration, of course.)

Cheers,