re: gnibbles, choosing time to spend on level

On Sun, 3 Apr 2005, Callum McKenzie wrote:

> Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2005 22:14:47 +1200 (NZST)
> From: Callum McKenzie <callum physics otago ac nz>
> To: Luke Page <eatthebean gmail com>
> Cc: games-list gnome org
> Subject: re: gnibbles, choosing time to spend on level
>
> > I thought I would start simple instead of jumping right into AI, so I
> > allowed the user to set the level timeout, or more specifically the
> > number of nibbles a worm eats before you jump level. I've allowed 1-99
> > (although 1-5 and 40+ would probably never be used.)

> Be warned that this is the sort of feature that I dislike as it goes
> against the GNOME philosophy. By all means post it to bugzilla, many
> features that sound bad seem OK once I actually try them. however, my
> gut-reaction is that this parameter should be a function of the difficulty
> level.

Maybe this would be a good time to ask Callum to clarify how he feels
about having these options in the codebase (accessibly through gconf or
otherwise) but not necessarily having them included in the Graphic User
Interface?

I assume that if such changes make the codebase more generalised and
easier to maintain and you would be likely to accept them.

- Alan H.