Re: Re: GNOME ASIA logo competition

  > With that out of the way, it seems like your issue with this competition
  > was not that of free vs non-free software, but rather LibreJS
  > compatibility.

LibreJS is the only way for users to avoid running lots of nonfree
programs as they browse.  If you think there is a better solution,
please describe it -- as far as I can see, there is no other.

                   With all do respect, I believe the onus was on you in this
  > case to work around this issue.

Is that even possible?  Is there a feasible way to "work around" the
need for Javascript code to declare its license and source code?  I
don't see one.

One cannot have the responsibility to do the impossible.  We have to
use a method that is possible.

                                    You put extra effort on part of our
  > foundation and myself to solve for you a self-inflicted technical issue.

LibreJS is a solution to the problem of avoiding running the nonfree
software that many web sites send to the user.  If it involves some
work for web sites, well, "freedom isn't free" (i.e., gratis), as the
saying goes.

The only way to consider this "self-inflicted" is if you reject solving
tthe problem.

  > While it would be excellent if GitLab had greater compatibility with
  > LibreJS, that is not exactly a GNOME Foundation problem to address.

GitLab's responsible for not labeling its Javascript for automatic
license detection, but the GNOME Foundation is responsible for including
that unlabeled code in its page.

As you recognize, it is not hard to put the logos in a page of
ordinary HTML.  We're going to do this, so as to be helpful.

--
Dr Richard Stallman