Re: Minutes of the Foundation Board, 22nd May

On Fri, 2018-05-25 at 18:55 -0500, mcatanzaro gnome org wrote:
On Fri, May 25, 2018 at 2:24 PM, Benjamin Berg
<benjamin sipsolutions net> wrote:
Will you make such an offer? If not, is there any reason to not make
this offer in the future and in this case?

Benjamin

There is a good reason not to allow this: it would be sabotague of
project history. In a small case, it might be harmless, but if it's a
core developer, imagine the potential damage to GNOME if hundreds or
thousands of comments were to disappear from bug reports.

That is a good point and a valid concern. The mentioned corner case is
interesting and quite a clear indication that the Foundation/Project
has a large interest to prevent in bulk modification of comments.

I hope GitLab has a time limit as to how far back posts can be edited,
to prevent this.

Interesting, I doubt that such "archival" of posts is done though. If
it is done, then I would say that the old precedence is fully
applicable to such archived posts, and the rejection of requests is
generally reasonable.

Maybe one should discuss the idea of such a time limit with Gitlab?

Benjamin