Re: Minutes of the Foundation Board, 13th March

Hey Germán, thanks for your comments.

Germán Poo-Caamaño <gpoo gnome org> wrote:
 * Tile server options for Maps (Allan)
  * VOTE: approve $300 a month to pay Mapbox - passed unanimously
  * ACTION: Meg to inform Mapbox and the Maps team, cc'ing Rosanna
and Neil
   * We might want to revisit this when we set future budgets

From outside, and setting aside the quality of the product, it is hard
to asses whether this is a good decision or not.

To do so, we would need to know what the recurrent income and expenses
are. It could be monthly or yearly. If we receive more than we spend,
then it might be a doable decision. Otherwise, we need think a better
long term solution.

The cost will be capped at $300, which falls within the budget for the
current financial year. Ongoing expenses will be factored into our
routine financial planning, when we set the budget for each financial
year.

 * Moderation of public mailing lists (Carlos)
  * Allan - moderators will have to play a role in policing once we
have a code of conduct - they are the ones who have the power to ban
people. A code of conduct will require some procedures and agreements
for how and when people get banned.

By doing so, you will either need to recruit moderators or establish a
mechanism that an unsubscribed moderator get the message or complain.
What are you going to do if a core developer or a maintainer or the
list moderator is the one misbehaving? (other than talk to them)

In practical terms, Code of conducts are guidelines, it shows what a
community aims; but Code of conducts are hard to enforce.

You're absolutely right that procedures and guidelines will be
required to deal with incident reports and to enforce a code of
conduct. In that sense, a code of conduct isn't just a document that
describes encouraged and prohibited behaviour, but is a framework for
dealing with behavioural problems. You're right that it's a challenge,
and there are a lot of details that will need to be worked out. One of
those details is what role list moderators will have with regards to a
code of conduct.

Best,

Allan