Re: OPW; Where does the 500$ for each GSoC goes?

On 09/17/2014 01:58 PM, Sébastien Wilmet wrote:
On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 09:51:15AM +0100, Ekaterina Gerasimova wrote:
The approach to budgeting is similar in that the Foundation and Google
both have a budget, but our budgets are quite different. Any spending
in any area means that that money cannot be spent in another area.
What if the Foundation decides to just organize OPW, which is already a
good contribution, but doesn't sponsor itself interns? By doing that,
the saving permits to spend the $10k or $5k on something else, like
sponsoring an experienced member of the Foundation instead of sponsoring
newcomers.

I think we need think more long term than that. I think OPW and GSOC internships are excellent ways for people to get their first foot into the community. A lot of the current long term contributors are being paid well by their employers to hack on GNOME. I think that's great, and it would be hard for the Foundation to compete with that kind of salaries. I would also add that the cost of an internship is not only money, but mainly time taken away from an existing contributor that could be focusing on their own work. I think it's worth that though.

But yes, how do we get the most buck for the money is a good question.
Maybe the GNOME project need to make harder choices for what projects to pick for internships projects to work on. I've not mentored anyone myself for a while now. Partly because it's a lot of work, but also because I think that websites or graphics design isn't our greatest challenges as a project right now.

- Andreas