Re: OPW; Where does the 500$ for each GSoC goes?

On Sat, Sep 13, 2014 at 12:11:12PM -0400, Jeff Fortin wrote:
Moreover, if there is a need for a veteran developer to work on a
particular module/project, there is also the possibility of doing a
public fundraiser to get the exact amount of funds required (or more).
The accessibility, privacy or Pitivi campaigns come to my mind as such
examples.

With ~30 GSoC GNOME students, the GNOME Foundation receives ~15.000$.
And that every year. It is up to the GNOME Foundation to use this money
wisely. If what you say is correct, do we all agree that spending this
money for travel and accomodation sponsorship for GUADEC is the best way
to spend this money?

Maybe Asian students could be sponsored to go to GNOME Asia, European
students for GUADEC, American students for the GNOME Summit, and for
other regions in the world, go to the nearest conference (or organize a
local event).

I don't think lots of organizations accepted in GSoC spend the 500$
stipends for conferences.

Maybe the GNOME Foundation can collect the 15.000$ and every year do a
call for bid, like it has been done for the accessibility campaign.
Every project could be accepted, and the GNOME Foundation members could
vote to elect the best project.

Or as I said, each mentor could decide what to do with the 500$ stipend.

But I agree that conferences are great, to meet in person the mentor or
the team. But sponsoring travel and accomodation doesn't scale. You'll
have a higher probability that those 30 students will stay longer in
GNOME, that's a good thing. BUT if the developer experience is
significantly improved in GNOME, you'll maybe get _thousands_ more
developers using the GNOME platform, with hopefully a high percentage
contributing to GNOME itself.

--
Sébastien