Re: Question for candidates

On 2014-05-21 07:30, Emily Gonyer wrote:
On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 7:01 AM, Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net> wrote:
On Wed, 2014-05-21 at 01:39 -0400, Richard Stallman wrote:
To cooperate formally with a Linux Foundation event would run into a
problem -- they would probably want to call the GNU/Linux system
"Linux", and we should not accept that.

I look forward to the FSF's financial contributions to GNOME
conferences.

I'd definitely want the GNOME Foundation Board to accept one of its
sponsors using "Linux" if it meant the durability of those GNOME
conferences. They support Free Software as well.

Absolutely. We ought to happily accept the support of anyone and
everyone who supports free software, even if their ideals do not line
up absolutely perfectly with GNOME's.

Perhaps somebody already said this, but GNOME already works with organizations that use different terminology. All of our sponsors use less than ideal ways to describe free software. In our own materials we have insisted on terminology that promotes freedom and while we've encouraged our partners to do the same it's never held up any sponsorship to my knowledge. The Linux Foundation has been a great supporter of GNOME and the Foundation. They used to give a low level sponsorship to GUADEC but upgraded that to an advisory board membership last year. They run great conferences, but they are a trade association and their conferences are very business focused as a result, so very different than what GUADEC is like.

I'm all for increasing our partnerships, from anyone, so long as we're confident in what we say and do to support software freedom (and try to educate our partners in a productive and positive way).

As for the FSF, I think it's unreasonable to expect sponsorship for GUADEC or other events, as they are also a 501c3 nonprofit. They have supported GUADEC sometimes by paying or partially paying for their representatives to come. They have given sponsorship directly to GNOME to pay for a GNOME intern for OPW, and have been the only charity to support an intern with another organization. I bet if we needed it and asked they would help us with their staff time, office space or other resources if they could spare it. They have offered to do so in the past.

full disclosure: I am *not* affiliated with the FSF :D

karen