Re: Questions for the candidates: finances

In my previous email responding to Kat, I touched on this very
subject. First and foremost we need to determine two things: 1) How
much money we are currently spending on what, and what is truly
needed. 2) How much money is currently coming in, and from where -
this should be broken down into categories - individual donations, and
at least the top 5-10 corporate donors ought to be listed along with
how much they have been and are giving.

Then we should move on to determining how we can raise donations from
individuals and small businesses. Donors should not have to search the
website to figure out how to do so - a small, but prominent link to
'Contribute to GNOME!' would not be out of place on the site.
Currently it takes at least 3 clicks to arrive at a site where you can
donate - and your only choice for doing so is via paypal. Why don't we
accept other payment options? Is it just that nobody has bothered to
set it up? If that is the case, we should be asking for help doing so.
At the very least, we should accept payments from google, facebook and
amazon, and we should at least consider accepting bitcoins as well.

Finally, there are other funding options available online - a quick
search reveals numerous websites with ideas on how to more effectively
raise funds. Utilizing every tool available to us to raise money from
individuals should be our first priority. Only after we have fully
explored these options should we go back to asking for yet more
corporate money.

Emily Gonyer