Re: Question for candidates

Hi Michael

On 2014-05-19 18:48, Michael Catanzaro <mcatanzaro gnome org> wrote:
On Mon, 2014-05-19 at 16:55 +0100, David King wrote:
I have a follow-up question (for David and incumbents): why do you want
(or not want) to hire a new executive director? What responsibilities do
you think the executive director role should entail? Can the foundation
afford to wait to hire a new executive director?

I partially answered this in my responses to Dave Neary:

https://mail.gnome.org/archives/foundation-list/2014-May/msg00030.html
https://mail.gnome.org/archives/foundation-list/2014-May/msg00069.html

In short, the executive director needs to bring in enough money to fund the position, grow the revenues of the Foundation to keep its financial situation secure, and to grow the Foundation as a whole.

Much of the process for this will be administrative, such as helping the administrative assistant with accounting and other necessary work. Part of the role will be evangelizing for GNOME at conferences and to existing and future sponsors. Some of the role would be acting as a figurehead, answering questions about GNOME and making sure that GNOME is presented well in the press. Stormy Peters wrote a very useful blog post about what she saw as the role of the executive director when she was in that position:

http://stormyscorner.com/2009/01/what-do-i-do-as-executive-director-of-gnome.html

I think that is broadly true of the executive director role, just that the proportions differ depending on the needs of the Foundation at the time.

I'm asking because most of Karen's work was not highly-visible. I'm
aware that she worked on recruiting new advisory board members and spoke
at conferences, both of which seem important. But I'm sure there must be
more to the job that I am unaware of, to justify the significant
expense.

I think that, in future, the Foundation cannot afford an executive director who is more costly to employ than the income gained from advisory board revenues. I think that Emily Gonyer's proposal to scale back corporate sponsorship would make it more difficult to continue to employ an executive director in the traditional role.

--
http://amigadave.com/