Re: Questions for the candidates: finances

On Tue, 2014-05-20 at 10:48 +0200, oliverp wrote:
On Mon, 2014-05-19 at 22:02 -0400, Marina Zhurakhinskaya wrote:
 I think we can do more with organization sponsorship and individual donations than we are doing right now.
We have a product that is naturally of interest to a lot of consumers and corporate users, and of interest
to hardware and application developers to be compatible with. We also have technology that is of interest
to people to build their own products with or create services around. When it became known that the GNOME
Foundation was in a difficult financial situation, we received an unprecedented number of individual
donations. These were previously untapped donors who are very supportive of GNOME. I think we should aim to
increase how much we get in private donations, and we can do that by reporting to our donors how their
money is being used and having yearly fundraising campaigns. We need to dedicate our fundraising energy to
these two sources because they are complimentary to the goals we have for advancing our technology. As a
Foundation, even with an ED, we have
 lim
 limited resources, so we need to consider how to allocate them most effectively.

I'd like to share a great article about fundraising by the Ada Initiative founders which has informed
some of my views on it.
http://modelviewculture.com/pieces/the-ada-initiative-founders-on-funding-activism-for-women-in-open-source
That is a great article thanks for sharing! The Engagement Team have started a discussion [1] about how the
Foundation
can become more effective in the fundraising, and as part of that effort
set-up a wiki page [2] with some resources on the subject (have added
the post it to the wiki).

I hope you are interested in joining this effort, the Engagement Team
want to collaborate closely with the Board in this.

1https://mail.gnome.org/archives/engagement-list/2014-April/msg00052.html
2https://wiki.gnome.org/Engagement/FriendsOfGNOME/HowWeCanImprove