Re: Minutes of the Board Meeting of March 11th, 2014

hi;

On 25 March 2014 12:43, Richard Stallman <rms gnu org> wrote:

    Indeed. We agreed that we need a clear privacy policy before we do
    anything - this will explain exactly what data is being sent, who it
    is being sent to, how the data will be used (and not used), and so on.
    I think that the writing of this document will help to clarify these
    issues and open them up to debate.

How and where data will be used is the second question.
The first question is whether to collect the data.

without going into existential philosophy, we can assume we already
answered positively to that question, given that we're discussing the
collection of data.

we need proper guidelines to regulate the collection of data in case
*anybody* decides to collect user metrics; if nobody actually collects
data then we're safe anyway.

What is the data in question, and why propose to collect it?

that was actually the second question I asked, and the current answer,
as explained by Richard Hughes, is:

 • the installed and removed applications
 • a hash of the IP address

leaving asing the NSA, FBI, CIA, GCHQ, and other malevolent actors, at
some point we need users to be able to tell us what they use, what
they want, and what they like. if it's strictly opt in, and if there's
the option to revoke this privilege at any time, then we should be
safe.

ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--