Re: Minutes of the Board meeting of October 29th, 2013

Hi Allan,

On 11/21/2013 11:04 AM, Allan Day wrote:
That page is pretty new. The intention was to consolidate the
pre-existing guidelines, but there's a chance that some of the issues
you mention are simply bugs that need to be ironed out.

This raises a very important point.

Mairin worked on logo & brand guidelines back in 2006. That was the work
(I believe that you based this page off. And all of the links to her
work are now broken and point at this page. The archive is gone. The
history is gone.

We are losing collected collective wisdom at al alarming rate in the
GNOME project as people (like myself) become less active and old wiki
pages get deleted wholesale as we move to new infrastructure and the
content gets "refreshed".

I don't think this is a good thing, but if it's a conscious decision
that's one thing. If it's collateral damage and is happening unawares,
then it's more serious (and consider this to be calling attention to it).

I think it depends on the context of use, but black and white are most
familiar and work in the majority of cases. It's pretty hard to have
guidelines for more creative uses of the logo, so this was just meant
to cover the common cases. Maybe we could have a statement that says
"please check with us if you want to use the logo in a way that
doesn't follow the guidelines"?

Embedding the logo is something that can easily lead to trouble and it
can also suggest endorsement. The reason this is to help avoid
situations where someone has combined the GNOME logo with another in a
way that we feel is misleading, as well as to help people who are not
very skilled at graphic design achieve a good result.

There is a question here about whether we need to follow our own
guidelines to the letter though - it'd be good to check on that.

The reason I was looking for the old logo guidelines was because there
was a palette of acceptable colours and sublogos. Those guidelines were
board approved and reviewed by foundation counsel, and I don't recall
seeing minutes of a board decision or discussion to adopt more
restrictive guidelines.

Cheers,
Dave.

--