Re: Announcing GNOME's official GitHub mirror

Hi;

Am Thu, 15 Aug 2013 12:24:21 +0200
schrieb Alberto Ruiz <aruiz gnome org>:
2013/8/15 Christian Persch <chpe gnome org>:
Also, I'd like to question when and how it was decided to give this
github mirror 'official' status?

The fact that the hook is installed in the repos makes it official. It
was my call, not GitHub's. So blame me.

I see from the board meeting minutes
of 9.7.2013 that the foundation is sending a trademark complaint
letter to an academic institution because they're (completely
legitimately IMO) abbreviating "General NOAA Operational Modeling
Environment" with "GNOME"; but OTOH we're allowing a proprietary
web service to use the trademark as the "GNOME Official Github
Mirror" ‽

Github is not using the trademark, I am.

That's a distinction without difference. The point remains that the
GNOME trademark is used to promote a proprietary web service.
Coupled with the word "Official" this even constitutes a strong
endorsement.

I've received word that the board will consider this question, so let's
leave it at that until then.

Regards,
        Christian