Re: Announcing GNOME's official GitHub mirror

First of all, thanks for this!

Couple of notes though:
- I haven't seen the link to the script that does the mirroring I guess that is kept somewhere right? :) Making it public so that others (after being installed in git.gnome.org of course) can add their own choice (why not a launchpad one? or gitorious as others pointed out...) would be nice.

- is *all* GNOME modules going to be there (setting aside the opt-in/out being discussed)? I don't see damned-lies for example

All in all, the more GNOME is spread the better, and at the end of the day, a mirror is a mirror, nothing without the source it mirrors.

Cheers,
Gil

2013/8/15 Christian Persch <chpe gnome org>
Hi;

Am Thu, 15 Aug 2013 12:24:21 +0200
schrieb Alberto Ruiz <aruiz gnome org>:
> 2013/8/15 Christian Persch <chpe gnome org>:
> > Also, I'd like to question when and how it was decided to give this
> > github mirror 'official' status?
>
> The fact that the hook is installed in the repos makes it official. It
> was my call, not GitHub's. So blame me.
>
> > I see from the board meeting minutes
> > of 9.7.2013 that the foundation is sending a trademark complaint
> > letter to an academic institution because they're (completely
> > legitimately IMO) abbreviating "General NOAA Operational Modeling
> > Environment" with "GNOME"; but OTOH we're allowing a proprietary
> > web service to use the trademark as the "GNOME Official Github
> > Mirror" ‽
>
> Github is not using the trademark, I am.

That's a distinction without difference. The point remains that the
GNOME trademark is used to promote a proprietary web service.
Coupled with the word "Official" this even constitutes a strong
endorsement.

I've received word that the board will consider this question, so let's
leave it at that until then.

Regards,
        Christian