Re: Announcing GNOME's official GitHub mirror

Hello Christian,

2013/8/15 Christian Persch <chpe gnome org>:
Hi;

From the associated blog post:
As per people concerned about the fact that github is a closed source
service, I have a few things to highlight: this is just a mirror, we
won't rely on them for any of our activities. Also, GitHub has
contributed a great deal of their infrastructure code to the free
software commons and they offer a free and very valuable service to
anyone who has a free software project. I hope that this alleviates
any concerns with regards to this topic.

It doesn't.

By using gibhub for our 'official' git mirror, we're still
promoting the use of a proprietary web service. I do see the advantage
of having a web space that allows anyone to put up a clone/fork of one
of our repos, but why was github chosen instead of a truly Free (AGPL'd)
web service like gitorious?

Also, I'd like to question when and how it was decided to give this
github mirror 'official' status?

The fact that the hook is installed in the repos makes it official. It
was my call, not GitHub's. So blame me.

I see from the board meeting minutes
of 9.7.2013 that the foundation is sending a trademark complaint letter
to an academic institution because they're (completely legitimately IMO)
abbreviating "General NOAA Operational Modeling Environment" with
"GNOME"; but OTOH we're allowing a proprietary web service to use the
trademark as the "GNOME Official Github Mirror" ‽

Github is not using the trademark, I am.

Very concerned,
        Christian